Having launched the next 60 satellites for the Starlink project, SpaceX was the first to share closed beta testing official results. The download speed has reached 100 Mbps, and the signal delay time is so short that it allows to play the most demanding video games. Also, SpaceX has successfully tested laser inter-satellite communication on its devices, which in the future will further accelerate data transfer via Starlink.
SpaceX Starlink network download speed
SpaceX's internal testing of the Starlink beta version of the satellite Internet showed "super-low latency and download speeds above 100 Mbps," said Kate Theis, Senior Certification Engineer.
Kate Theis said that during a live broadcast dedicated to the next launch of the Falcon 9 rocket with a load of Internet satellites on board. The Starlink constellation now has more than 700 satellites, TechCrunch reports.
"This means our latency is low enough to play the fastest online video games, and the download speed is fast enough to watch several HD movies simultaneously and still have some bandwidth left," Kate added.
Kate Theis also reported that SpaceX recently completed testing of two orbiting satellites equipped with inter-satellite communication, which has the informal name "space lasers." This technology allows the spacecrafts to transmit data directly instead of sending them to Earth first.
"Thanks to these space lasers, Starlink satellites will transmit hundreds of gigabytes of data. Once the space lasers are fully ready, Starlink will be one of the fastest available data transmission options worldwide," Theis said.
She added that the first phase of closed beta testing is already in full swing. And SpaceX will conduct more extensive testing before the end of the year.
- SpaceX claims that it has just made a breakthrough with its Starlink satellites.
- As soon as space lasers are fully deployed, Starlink will become one of the fastest ways to transmit data worldwide.
- Starlink is about to open a public beta test.
- SpaceX announced that all of its Starlink satellites would have inter-satellite communication, as recently demonstrated.
- Interested users can register through the Starlink website.
- SpaceX stated that beta testing would first target rural communities in Washington and spread to the northern United States and southern Canada.